Monday, August 25, 2008

Bring back NBA Basketball

Alright, that title sounds strange even to me as it type it. The style of play that is claimed to be defense but often is nothing more than overgrown playground junk ball offense that passes as the NBA (notable exception in what Boston did to the Lakers in the Finals, that was fantastic D), is actually something that I find myself longing for after watching the international version of the sport offered in Beijing. Watching all the flopping and acting that was going on had me at times thinking that I was watching a court filled with Vlade Divac clones. Seriously, if I had to watch one more head fly back when a defender came near, I would seriously just give up my struggle to stick with the games to see the US back on top.

This does not even take into account the grossly inconsistent officiating that left me as well as the players wondering from one quarter to another just what would be called and what would not. It seemed as though on one drive a quick dribble spin move by the US point guard to protect the ball would garner an offensive foul and the Argentinian player flopped to the ground, only for minutes later for Kobe to be nearly mauled by two players with not a whistle forthcoming.

So, I say, bring back the NBA. At least we don't have to listen to the whistling.

No comments: